Do you like kale?
If the answer to that question is, “no.” Or more likely, “NO!” stay tuned. Keep going. You are about to find out a way to get all those fabulous vitamins in a wonderfully tasty (and pretty) fashion.
If you answer, “yes” to that question, well… keep reading, too. This salad is great for everyone.
So, if you hadn’t guessed, this post contains a recipe for kale salad. A rather good kale salad at that.
The background on my love of kale goes something like this… um, yeah, no. Nope! Not at all! Can’t stand the stuff. Yuck! You’ve got to be kidding me.
Then I go and fall in love with and marry, well…the guy that is now my husband. You know, the Big Man.
And he loves kale. His whole family loves kale. Loves, Loves, LOVES it!
Anyway, for the love of my husband and to keep peace in the family, I have spent the last 14 years trying to like this stuff. I can put it in smoothies to get the nutrition, but I have to add a lot of fruit to cover the taste up.
AND… my FIL grows kale and gives it to us all of the time. I can’t drink that many smoothies.
So, I went on a quest. I was going to figure out how to eat and LIKE this stuff called kale.
Somehow, I read somewhere that the bitter taste comes from the white film it develops to discourage bugs from eating it. If you “massage” it with olive oil and/or citrus juice, it will get rid of the white bitter stuff.
“What’s that, you say?”
“Get rid of the bitter stuff, you say?”
I could go for that.
So, I looked up a bunch of kale salad recipes and thought they all had WAY too much stuff in them. I looked at what I had available, and picked a few things to try.
That’s it. 3 ingredients, other than the kale. Oil and juice. And some salt and pepper. So, easy.
The other great thing about this kale salad is if you make a lot and have left overs, the kale is so hardy that it doesn’t wilt. It’s just as good the next day.
In fact, I will make a bunch and stick it in the fridge and then munch on it all day and the next.
So, below are some not-so-great pictures of my process. Not sure what was up with my lighting. Still figuring this new place out.
And below that is the recipe to print. But you really won’t need it. You will have this thing memorized and be making it all the time in no-time.
And for an even better version of a Kale Salad, try Kale Salad with Strawberries at Tia’s Kitchen.
- 1 bunch Kale (curly)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon
- ½ cup Dried Cranberries
- ½ cup Shaved Parmesan
- ½ cup Pumpkin Seeds (shelled)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Wash and dry the kale.
- Tear kale into bit size pieces, removing the stems completely. Place in large bowl.
- Sprinkle olive oil over the top.
- Juice the lemon and sprinkle over the top. (I use one of those hand juicers so I can pretend like I am on a cooking show. Just need a camera person looking over my shoulder.)
- Massage the oil and juice into the kale. (The goal is to not have any of the white cloudy film left on the kale. You want every piece nice and shiny. Just like the picture above.)
- Grind a bit of salt and pepper on top. Mix up the kale.
- Sprinkle the cranberries, parmesan and pumpkin seeds on top.
- Add your salad tongs and serve.
Until later, here’s to…Living Better, Easily!™