When I was a teenager, I had a step-mother. (Technically, she is my ex-step-mother, now, but we don’t need to get into that.)
Anyway, we had the typical teenager/step-mother relationship. In other words, not the best. There were many reasons for this that I also won’t get into here. But, the cool thing is she had my sister when I was 15. Something happened once that little kid came into the picture. Things relaxed a bit on both sides. And, we had a connection that was never going to go away. I think I started to see her as a human being, and she started to see me through the eyes of a woman who was now a mother, instead of just a girlfriend/wife to my dad. We weren’t just fighting for my father’s attention, anymore.
So, the reason I go into this story is this. Around that time, my step-mother and I had another thing we bonded through. Cookies! We both loved cookies. Loved making cookies. Eating cookies. Making more cookies. Eating more cookies.
We made a lot of the typical cookies together. Chocolate chip, snicker doodle, etc. But, she introduced me to No Bake, Oatmeal Cookies. I do not recall having had these before. And, once I had them, I was in heaven.
Have you ever had these things? They are great!
Well, when I was trying to come up with a cookie recipe for the April in the Raw event, I thought about these cookie. I couldn’t remember how they were made, but since they were no-bake, I figured they should work. Then I found a recipe on line and realized that no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks could these qualify as raw. Not even close.
But, I was still obsessed with the idea of making these again. But, since I am now gluten-free and dairy-free, I was going to need to do some tweaking. (You can also make this without peanut butter. I substituted sun butter in one batch that I made at my FIL’s. He tried them. Then his eyes got all wide. He’s allergic to peanut butter. I made them with sunbutter for him, but I forgot to tell him before he ate any. Oops. He’s ok. Just scared him a bit.)
So, anyway, I was very excited when I made these because they taste pretty close to the “real” version. At least from what I remember.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, No-Bake Cookies
- 4 tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1/2 cup Hazelnut Milk (You could use any nut milk.)
- 1/2 cup Agave Nectar
- 1/2 oz. Unsweetened Chocolate Bar (I used Scharffen Berger. Regular dark chocolate bar should work fine.)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Stevia
- 4 tbsp Peanut Butter (You can use Sunbutter.)
- 3 cups Gluten-Free Oats
- Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Place Oats in a large bowl.
- In a pan, melt Earth Balance, Hazelnut Milk, Agave Nectar, Chocolate, Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Stevia together. Boil for one minute.
- Take off the burner and add the peanut butter and mix.
- Add the mixture to the oats and stir until it’s all mixed together.
- Form balls/globs ( I remember them being in globs.) about one inch in diameter and place onto the parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Place in the fridge to set for a couple of hours, if you can wait that long.
- Should make about 20 or so cookies. Depends on how big you make them. You don’t have to spread them out on the cookie sheet, so you should be able to fit them all on one.
Do you like to bake cookies to bond? What cookies do you bake?
Until later, here’s to…Living better, easily!™
PS – If you like this post and want to receive notices whenever a new recipe/review/rambling, etc. goes up, sign up for email updates in the upper right-hand corner of this page.