A while ago, I received an email from a friend of mine, Nancy at The Sensitive Pantry, about Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry Campaign. This holiday season, several bloggers are joining together for a week-long campaign called Share Our Holiday Table. We are each choosing a type of holiday dish to write about to get the word out. Each day this week, a different dish will be spotlighted. (Please scroll down to the bottom to see links to the posts so far. And go visit.)
Monday was Appetizers. Tuesday was Drinks. And, today (Wednesday) is salads. I chose Vegetarian Salad. So, below is the recipe I came up with. It’s a great tasting beet salad made with golden beets, persimmons, and pomegranates. Hence, the name. (Sorry, I’m not very imaginative, sometimes.)
But, before we get to the recipe, let’s talk about how you can help. You can take the pledge to help end child hunger here. You can purchase beautiful holiday gift cards to donate and promote awareness. Or, you can help promote by facebooking and twittering this post, other bloggers participating in the campaign, and/or the No Kid Hungry Pledge itself. (There are convenient buttons on the site.) Any help is greatly appreciated.
On to the recipe. I came up with this recipe because it was what I had on hand, and I have had a thing for beet salad, lately. Just can’t get enough of it. So, I added a few more ingredients that I really like, and voilà!
- Salad -
- 4 Large (or 8 small) Golden Beets (shredded)
- 3 Large (or 6 small) Ripe, Fuyu Persimmons (sliced into strips)
- 1 Large Pomegranate (just the seeds)
- Dressing -
- 2 tbsp Shredded Ginger Root
- ¼ cup Lite Rice Vinegar
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Salad -
- Use a food processor or grater to shred the beets.
- Add the persimmons.
- Add the pomegranates. (For an easy tutorial on how to peel a pomegranate, just click to see my previous post.)
- Dressing -
- Add ginger, rice vinegar, olive oil and honey to a mini food processor or blender.
- Blend away until it is mixed well.
- Pour over salad and toss. Toss the salad together. Don't toss the salad across the room or something. Just want to be clear.
- Serve and enjoy!
December 6: Appetizers
- Wenderly (read the post)
- La Fuji Mama (read the post)
December 7: Drinks
December 8: Salads
December 9: Soup
- Ladles and Jellyspoons (read the post)
- Two Dollar Dinners (read the post)
- All About Alton Brown
- Cookie Central’s Great American Bake Sale (read the post)
- Celiac Teen (read the post)
- Celiacs in the House (read the post)
- Gluten Free Life with Jen
- And Love it Too! (read the post)
December 10: Entrees
December 13: Sides
- The Urban Baker (read the post)
- Heather Christo (read the post)
- We Like to Cook, and Eat (read the post)
- Plum Pie (read the post)
- What’s Cooking (read the post)
- Dine and Dish (read the post)
- The Evolving Cook (read the post)
- Katrina Runs for Food
- The Whole Gang (read the post)
- Jenn Cuisine– A mostly gluten free cooking blog. (read the post)
- Creative Cooking Gluten Free (read the post)
December 14: Dessert
- Little Bo Bakes (read the post)
- Hunter Angler Gardener Cook (read the post)
- TableFare (read the post)
- Cooking On the Side (read the post)
- Devour The World (read the post)
- Hoosier Homemade (read the post)
- For the Joy of Food (read the post)
- Daydreamer Desserts (read the post)
- The Food Junkie (read the post)